Friday, January 1, 2010

This and That

I know, I know, I've been getting quite a few complaints because of the lack of posting.  Well, between work and the holidays and researching things - suffice it to say life got in the way.


So this post will be a rambling of sorts to get us all up-to-date.


The kicking continues - and holy smokes does it.  I continue to be woken up at various points in the night.   I wake up and have no idea why and then feel a kick and realize, oh, that's it.  And I've come to realize she's not a big fan of me turning sides.  I try to sleep on my left side (did you know that pregnant women can't sleep on their backs after a certain point? The weight of the uterus is on the spine, intestines, etc.  Sleeping on the stomach is out for obvious reasons.  And sleeping on one's left side is apparently good for both as it improves the flow of blood and nutrients to the placenta.)  But that gets old and when I turn to my right side, she starts flailing.  So sleep, it continues to elude me.  It's ok, I've come to realize it's a Sisyphean effort, as many things have been. 


What else? We went home to Chicago for the holidays and had a fun time with the family.  My sisters and best friends threw us a fabulous shower.  True to Chicago weather, it was a blizzard that day.   But it was fun, beautiful and all captured phenomenally by my best friend's husband, Rohit.  


Speaking of Rohit, I was able to surprise Ranju by sticking around an extra day for the birth of little Ravi. He was born on Monday, December 28, 2009.  It was fascinating to sit in the waiting room and watch the dads come out with the news of the birth of their children - watching grandparents and siblings reacting.  Also, I don't think I've ever seen a baby less than hour after birth.   I walked into the room with Ranju holding Ravi - all 7 lbs - and thought, all of that little man was inside of her just a bit ago!  (Reminded me of those games children play where they have to put the peg in the hole, which of course made me re-think this whole thing.  Just for a second.)


And finally, today is January 1, 2010.   Last night we rang in the new year with two other pregnant couples - our friends Madhavi and Veena and their husbands.  I'm not into new year's resolutions - but I do hope the luck we've had, the love we've felt and the laughter we've enjoyed continues.  2010 will be something, won't it?    

No comments:

Post a Comment