Friday, June 25, 2010

Working Girl

I went back to work this past Monday.  But there was no getting up and kissing Shiloh good-bye while mommy left for the office.  I'm working part-time and from home for the time being.   (I say time being, because I'm dealing with some issues with the office that may require me to come into the office two days during the week - or I may just end up dropping the whole working thing).

In any event, it was nice to be home, do the work and at the same time play with my girl during breaks.  We've hired a nanny for two days so I can focus on my work.  At this point I can't even imagine going into the office and working 60 hours per week like I did.  But I know many women have to; suffice it to say I am lucky to have a choice.  Though I have to say, on the days that the nanny doesn't come in, it can be pretty challenging and outright comical.  For example, I was talking to counsel at a state agency when Shiloh woke up from her nap and started jabbering - I had to walk out of the room pretty quickly.  Or the time I was talking to my partner  while I was nursing her and I put him on speaker-phone.  She was so shocked to hear his voice that she suddenly let out a wail.   And the fact that there's nothing like the "oh she just woke up" excuse to get off the phone with someone (hmm, did I just reveal my secret?).

I've been out for three months so I feel a little rusty on certain things (when my partner mentioned the words "upcoming major litigation" I felt a little nauseous), but totally back into the swing of things on others (for example, re-connecting with my clients - most of them are characters).

On this Friday I feel pretty good overall.  Shiloh takes frequent naps throughout the day so I'm able to get most of my work done.  I even managed to have dinner on the table on most nights.  How do you like them apples? Regular freakin' suzy homemaker.

One real low point, however, was finding out my grandmother passed away on Monday.  She was almost 95 years old and as you regular readers know, Shiloh is her namesake.  I was pretty upset when I first heard and I couldn't watch the funeral which was on a live-feed - I want to remember her with life.  But I know she is at peace somewhere in the universe, hopefully watching over us.

No comments:

Post a Comment